Life Long Learners are curious and engaged. If you agree that creating an environment for life long learning is a worthy goal, consider these 5 steps to achieve the goal.
1. Music is a wonderful way to introduce your kids to tempo and rhythm. Children should listen to all kinds of music and even selections that may be unfamiliar to the rest of the family like cowboy, gospel, opera, etc…
2. Books are very important. Age appropriate reading material is very important to keep at a level the kids can get to it on their own. One point that is often overlooked is to read beyond the child’s own ability. That means you may have to stop more often for vocabulary. Check every so often to be sure they are understanding the story.
3. Dinner time, nuff said, get together at the table.
4. Get outdoors, the best lab is right outside your door. Kids get to use their outside voices (within reason). Let them climb, slide, see all they can see.
5. Art appreciation, have art in your own home, thrift shops are full of gorgeous works for a few dollars. Make your own art, work in different mediums. Showcase the art. While viewing art with a child, talk about the sources of light, the scale, the focus. Visit an art museum, discuss famous artists and their work.
In doing all this, your children will appreciate and imitate beauty and become life long learners.