Does anyone out there have any good advice on how to name a new pet?
As I mentioned a few posts ago, we have two new pets in the house, roborovskii hamsters, which have been a joy so far!
How do you go about naming your new pets? I’ve had a few pets in my life, here’s the rundown on them and their names…
- a blue beta named J.R. after John Ross Ewing on Dallas when I was about 10, I was totally in love with J.R. and his bad attitude and I thought the beta was quite mean flaring up at his image and all…
- hamster #1 Pebbles names after the little girl on the Flintstones because she was small and cute. Pebbles died when my mother wanted to rid our apartment of cockroaches and decided to put the hamster in the car on a hot day while we went to the park, we returned to the thing gasping for air and I think she died that night…
- hamster #2 named Pebbles #2 escaped and entered the radiator that was in the wall, there was a weird metal door and it squeazed in there… we were looking for her and finally found her, 4 paws stuck to the metal flooring of the radiator. My mother pulled her off and she was all bleedy and gross… I really couldn’t look… after what happenned with the first one my mother wanted to make this right and save this life. We went to the animal hospital in Manhattan (quite a trek from Queens) and waited to be seen. Finally a gorgeous doctor came out and told my mother that he *could* give some type of cream that would help but it might be better to get another hamster… he said this as if she didn’t realize that! My mother asked for the prescription and we went to the pharmacy. She spent $28 for the ointment, keep in mind she was recently divorced with no help from my father in the early 80’s, this was a lot of money to her, not to mention hamsters were about $2. I have memories of her rubbing that hamsters 4 paws with that stuff for several days. Eventually little nubs formed and it was like a pirate hamster, I WISH I had pictures but I don’t. Pebbles #2 lived quite a long while after that, until… my babysitter who a very beautiful old Cuban lady named Anna decided Pebbles needed a little pillow. She presented me with a little 2 inch square pillow, I never thought to ask what it was stuffed with. Pebbles took to it right away, sitting on it. A few mornings later, I went to the cage looking for Pebbles when I saw her little tale coming out of the pillow. I called my mother who determined she had strangled herself in the pillow stuffed with left over yarn and string from Anna’s projects.
- One night before Christmas I was told to go with a friend and her family out to dinner, this was cleared with my friend’s mother but I could tell my friend’s father wasn’t that happy about this arrangement. I had no choice, so I went along. I came home and found a box on my bed with a red ribbon on it. I opened it as my mother watched and it was a little calico kitten!!! I named her Noel because it was around Christmas time and my mother is French and I speak it. Noel was with us a long time, she moved with us to Ditmars Boulevard and 32nd Street and we lived peacefully for years. She was allowed to go in and out of the door, she would explore and come home no problem. One day when I was a teenager she never came home… we never found her or heard of what became of her.
- When I was 15 we were in the mood for a new pet. We decided on a dog. We went looking for one and landed in a small shelter somewhere… we found a brown dobermann pinscher. She was a bit smaller than a full fledge one so possibly a mix but she was gorgeous and looked very ferocious. My mother and I were both scared until she climbed in the car and licked my mother’s face. We named her Fofinha which is a Brazilian slang word for soft (speaking of females) Did I mention my father is Brazilian? NOTE: very strange name for a dog and raises a few eyebrows in polite Brazilian company. Fofinha was with us through my high school, 2 years at Pace University, me joining the Navy and even through my marriage… finally my mother had to put her to sleep because her skull was caving in and she was losing coordination skills.
- While in Japan I went to the base pound and found little miss Sophie, her base name was ‘Firecracker’ see my pet blog for more info on Sophie: http://picfur.com
Right now we have these two little hamsters my kids have named Chester and Dexter, the only problem is we can’t tell them apart!! I would love to link to your pet stories from my pet blog.